What are Xenoestrogens?
Xenoestrogens are hormones in the environment that mimic estrogen. Unlike naturally produced estrogens, when xenoestrogens enter our bodies they disrupt our endocrine systems, throwing our hormones out of whack and potentially causing cancer, especially breast cancer, uterine cancer, ovarian cancer, and prostate cancer.
Xenoestrogens are most commonly found in plastics, pesticides, beauty products, receipts, and many more household items. Some of them show up on ingredient lists or labels, like parabens, BPA, phlalates, BHA, red dye no.3, and PCBs.
10 Ways to Eliminate Xenoestrogens
- Don’t take receipts. Snap a photo with your phone or get an e-receipt instead.
- Use organic beauty products that are free of parabens. Use only nail polish that’s “5-free”.
- Skip the plastic bags. Use paper or reusable bags instead.
- Stay away from canned foods and drinks. Carbonated and acidic products like soda and tomato sauce are especially known for leaching BPA from cans.
- Don’t store food in plastic. Especially do not microwave food in plastic containers or styrofoam. Throw out plastic water bottles that have sat in a hot car. Switch to glass and stainless steel water bottles and food containers whenever possible.
- Switch to organic produce to avoid endocrine-disrupting pesticides. This is especially important for produce you can’t peel, like berries, spinach, celery, and greens. Always wash and peel non-organic produce if possible.
- Avoid processed foods, food dye, and food with preservatives, especially for kids.
- Don’t buy plastic baby toys, especially for toys that will end up being chewed on.
- Use chlorine-free and unbleached paper products, like tampons, pads, toilet paper, and tissues.
- Switch to biodegradable cleaning products like laundry detergents and dish soap. Skip the dryer sheets altogether.
All information in this blog is for educational uses only. Always consult your doctor before taking any herbs or supplements, or changing or discontinuing your medications.
Contact us to see if your insurance covers services at our office!
Join the Prism Family! Subscribe to our newsletter and get $30 off your first visit.